Data Protection Notice
The Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science e.V. (MPG) takes the protection of your personal data very seriously. We process personal data collected during visits to our website in compliance with the applicable data protection regulations. We will neither publish your data nor pass it on to third parties without authorisation.
In the following, we explain which data we collect during your visit to our websites and how exactly this data is used:
A. General information
1. Scope of data processing
As a matter of principle, we collect and use personal user data only as far as this is necessary to provide a functional website and our content and services. The collection and use of our users' personal data regularly takes place after the users have given their consent. An exception applies in cases where the processing of data is permitted by legal regulations.
2. Legal basis for data processing
Where we obtain the consent of the data subject for processing operations involving personal data, Article 6(1)(a) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) serves as the legal basis.
When processing personal data that is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party, Art. 6 (1) (b) DSGVO serves as the legal basis. This also applies to processing operations that are necessary for the implementation of pre-contractual measures.
If the processing is necessary to protect a legitimate interest of MPG or a third party and the interests, fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject do not outweigh the first-mentioned interest, Art. 6 (1) f DSGVO serves as the legal basis for the processing.
3. Data deletion and storage period
The personal data of the data subject will be deleted or blocked as soon as the purpose of the storage no longer applies. Storage may also take place if this has been provided for by the European or national legislator in Union regulations, laws or other provisions to which the MPG is subject. Data will also be blocked or deleted if a storage period prescribed by the aforementioned standards expires, unless there is a need to continue storing the data for the conclusion or performance of a contract.
4. Contact details of the persons responsible
The responsible party within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation and other national data protection laws as well as other data protection regulations is the
Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science e.V. (MPG)
Telephone: +49 (89) 2108-0
Contact form: https://www.mpg.de/kontakt/anfragen
5. Contact details of the data protection officer
The data protection officer of the responsible party is
Telephone: +49 (89) 2108-1554
6. Contact details of the responsible supervisory authority
Bavarian State Office for Data Protection Supervision
B. Provision of the website and creation of log files
Each time our website is called up, our servers and applications automatically collect data and information from the computer system of the calling computer.
The following data is temporarily collected:
- Your IP address
- Date and time of your access to the site
- Address of the page accessed
- Address of the previously visited website (referrer)
- Name and version of your browser/operating system (if transmitted)
The data is stored in the log files of our systems. This data is not stored together with other personal data of the user.
The legal basis for the temporary storage of the data and the log files is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO. The storage in log files is done to ensure the functionality of the website. In addition, we use the data to optimise the websites, for troubleshooting and to ensure the security of our information technology systems. These purposes are also our legitimate interest in data processing according to Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO.
The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer required to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. In the case of the collection of data for the provision of the website, this is the case when the respective session has ended. In the case of storage of data in log files, this is the case after seven days at the latest. Storage beyond this period is possible. In this case, the IP addresses of the users are deleted or alienated so that an assignment of the calling client is no longer possible.
The collection of data for the provision of the website and the storage of the data in log files is absolutely necessary for the operation of the website. Consequently, there is no possibility for the user to object.
C. Web analysis
- IP address, anonymised by shortening
- Two cookies to distinguish between different visitors (pk_id and pk_sess)
- Previously visited URL (referrer), if transmitted by the browser
- Name and version of the operating system
- Name, version and language setting of the browser
- URLs visited on this website
- Time of page views
- Type of HTML requests
- Screen resolution and colour depth
- Techniques and formats supported by the browser (e.g. Cookies, Java, Flash, PDF, WindowsMedia, QuickTime, Realplayer, Director, SilverLight, Google Gears)
The data will be stored and evaluated exclusively on a central server operated by the MPG. In addition to the central website www.mpg.de, it is also used by most Max Planck Institutes and many project websites assigned to the MPG.
The legal basis for the processing of users' personal data is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO. The processing of users' personal data enables us to analyse the usage behaviour of our users. By evaluating the data obtained, we are able to compile information on the use of the individual components of our websites. This helps us to continuously improve our websites and their user-friendliness. These purposes are also our legitimate interest in processing the data in accordance with Art. 6 Para. 1 lit. f DSGVO. By anonymising the IP address, the interest of users in the protection of their personal data is sufficiently taken into account.
The data will be deleted after the final annual totals for the access statistics have been calculated.
Of course, you have the option to object to the collection of data. You have the following independent options to object to data collection by the central server:
- Activate the Do-Not-Track or Do Not Follow setting in your browser. As long as this setting is active, our central server will not store any data from you. Important: The Do-Not-Track instruction usually only applies to the one device and the one browser in which you activate the setting. If you use several devices / browsers, you must activate Do-Not-Track separately for each.
- Use our opt-out function. Click on the tick in the following selection box at https://www.mpg.de/datenschutzhinweis/datenerhebung-deaktivieren to stop or reactivate the data collection. As long as the checkbox is deactivated, our central server will not store any of your data. Important: For the opt-out, we have to save a special recognition cookie in your browser. If you delete this or use a different PC/browser, then you must again object to the data collection on this page.
This data will not be stored together with other personal data of the user.
- Language settings (localisation) of the browser: Sessioncookie i18next
- Session data (click distance, pages called up, current language, as well as error messages for forms, if applicable: Sessioncookie mpg_session_r
Both cookies are deleted after the session is closed.